Monday, April 13, 2015

National Poetry Month - 12 of 30

Ambition

I want to make Chicago the city of Romance
to blast all the working class ennui into today’s
brilliant sunshine. I want to sit in the heat
with a woman and drink from a brown bag
reading passages from Kundera and have folks
say  that crazy New Yorker crosse his legs
like he’s on the Champs Elysees! At first
they will say remove the yellow kerchief
from your head! Shelf your wild colors
and your ridiculous shoe fetish! We are a city
of flat vowels, and chisels and trowels
and it will be the last time I listen
to anyone tell me to play anything
like safe or good sense. I want Milwaukee Avenue
to flow like the Nile – Hyde Park to swagger
like the Left Bank –  if  Englewood doesn’t shimmer
with the same silvery edge as Bushwick,
then I will have failed - when that crazy Brooklyn
Trinidadian gets old I want them to say –
he told us we were beautiful – we told him
we were workers – then we looked at our hands
and touched the faces of those we loved –
and walked into other parts of town and sang

the songs we found there – and believed.

To schedule a reading or an appearance please contact Ofer Ziv at Blue Flower Arts at 845-677-8559 or email ofer@blueflowerarts.com. www.facebook.com/rogerbonairagard www.twitter.com/rogerbonair www.cypherbooks.com

3 Comments:

Blogger MoxieBee said...

Ah, I already believe you.

6:10 PM  
Blogger victori7 said...

I love your poetry.

5:28 PM  
Blogger victori7 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home